Invisalign is the trade name for the leading brand of clear dental aligners designed specifically for adult and older teens. The product gently corrects misaligned teeth, usually in 14 months or less. After the therapy is complete, the patient need only wear a nightly retainer to maintain the benefits for the rest of his or her life.
Why are Misaligned Teeth in Adults a Cause for Concern?
Upon learning that that the upper and lower teeth are misaligned, some adults simply shrug their shoulder and say, “so what? It hasn’t killed me yet.” Unfortunately, things aren’t quite that simple. Here’s why:
- Misaligned teeth will only get worse over time if they are left untreated. As we age, this can cause problems ranging from cavities to missing teeth.
- Tooth misalignment issues can also cause problems throughout the body, including headaches,sore necks, and back pain.
- The longer we put off seeking treatment for tooth alignment issues, the more challenging it will be to achieve lasting relief. Is risking your quality of life worth the possibility of saving a few dollars?
The traditional solution for misaligned teeth is braces. But most adults find the idea of wearing braces a bit disconcerting; after all, aren’t they a “kid” thing? This is beside the fact that braces can interfere with social, professional, and business activities.
In such a situation, what’s an adult to do? Invisalign is the answer.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign therapy occurs in a series of steps. The process begins with a visit to your cosmetic dentist on University Boulevard. He or she will perform a complete oral exam, ask you some questions about your health history, and make treatment recommendations at that time. Should the two of you agree that Invisalign is the solution you need, then this is what you can expect next:
- Your dentist will perform a series of measurements, which will be used by the Invisalign lab to create your aligners. Each set is custom-crafted for the patient.
- It will take a few days for the product to arrive at your dentist’s office. At that time, you will return for a follow-up visit. You will try the product on for fit and comfort. Your dentist may make a few minor adjustments to ensure your satisfaction.
- You will wear each pair of aligners for about a week, switching to the next set to carry the alignment process forward to the next step.
- After your course of therapy is complete, your dentist will probably recommend that you wear a retainer during rest in order to ensure the benefits remain.
Over the long-term,you should simply follow the normal steps needed to enjoy lifelong dental health. These include: regular brushing and flossing, limiting consumption of sweets and simple starches, eating a well-rounded diet, exercising, and seeing your dentist for regular cleanings and exams.
How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
Prices for a full course of Invisalign therapy can range rom around $3,000.00 to a bit over$7,000.00, depending on the amount of correction needed. Your dental coverage may pay a substantial portion of these expenses. Private financing options are available as well.
Invisalign is a great way to enjoy the benefits of alignment therapy without the drawbacks of traditional braces. Ask your dentist if Invisalign is right for you.
About the Author
Dr. Adrienne Ware earned her DDS degree from LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans. An avid student of science as well as medicine, she loves applying her knowledge and skills to the care of her patients. You can reach her office online or by calling (251) 304-9086.